Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Love Gardening!





I have recently begun gardening for the first time. I grew up in a family that always had a garden, and I always thought it was just one of those things moms and dads do. Wash the dishes, do the laundry, work in the garden....I didn't realize how much fun it was. I am addicted to it. Everything else gets a little neglected because I can't stay out of my yard. I have found yet another passion in my life. Gardening to me is very spiritual. There's so much symbolism to life in it. New life, growth, death, rebirth....you reap what you sow.....I'm sure there's more analogies I can't think of off the top of my head. I've always been a girl who likes to play in the dirt. Gardening is so fulfilling to me, and it makes me feel more self sufficient. I can feed my body and soul in one hobby, as well as my family. Love it!

Square Foot Gardening is new to me too. I heard my friends Melissa and Nancy talking about it. I went and bought the book, and took a couple classes at Thanksgiving Point. (This is a compulsive habit of mine: when I learn something new, I have to learn everything I possibly can about it, research every alternative I find, obsess about it some more, and then throw myself into it.) I loved the concept, and I loved the pictures of my teacher's veggies garden. I also loved the idea of teaching others this method, and all the humanitarian work involved in it. So far for me, it's been simple and successful. I'm certain it's because I've followed the directions exactly. I'm excited with what I have growing, but I also find myself sneaking more and more boxes, and more and more containers, and fitting as much as I can find room and money for in our tiny little yard. I decided to post some pics of my plants. I have a strawberry box, a corn/potatoes box, and 2 boxes chock full of all kinds of veggies and herbs. It's so fun to watch it all grow! I can't wait to harvest it! I also thought I would post a pic of my little backyard buddies: my 4 egg-laying chickens. There names are Biffie and Baby (the black Australorps) and Petunia and Ethel (the Deleware Whites). I got them solely for egg-laying purposes, but they have turned out to be wonderful pets, and we love them to pieces, along with all the neighborhood kids that drop by constantly to chase them around the yard, and snuggle them in their laps (yes, snuggle chickens). They put up with it all, and ask for more. They are very sweet. Hours of family fun, and fresh eggs....what could get any better than that?

1 comment:

Stacey said...

It is so fun to see green peaking out! I can't wait to see it in a couple weeks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...