Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just a Quick Update...

Because I feel like a hermit. We have stayed in ALL WINTER! Everyone gets their turn, and I guess this year it was ours. It seems spring has sprung now and I am still trying to catch up on everything and get my bearings.
We have been very blessed throughout these past 4 or 5 months, and learned much from our challenges. I'm not going to talk about all the things we've been through lately. I'm kind of tired of talking about it. I've learned a lot, as did our whole family, and now I'm ready and willing to move on.
Full speed ahead! Wes gave me some beautiful new dishes for my birthday (just in time, we were down to 3 plates and 2 bowls total from a set of 8 place settings. I guess that's what moving 4 times since getting married does to you.). They are so beautiful, and even better on my table in my house! We've been busy doing a few things around the house lately. Kolton is going to graduate to a twin-sized bed and we're fixing up his room, Micah's room, and the kid's bathroom. It's Dr. Seuss' "One Fish, Two Fish". So darling! We are going to be painting up a storm too! Painting the bathroom, kitchen, boys' room, and the basement. I also stripped, painted, and reupholstered our kitchen table and chairs. I will post some pictures as we complete the projects.
We've been cleaning and scouring like crazy after all this sickness. Much organizing has needed to be done as well, and it's been sooo nice to finally get around to it. I think order is so important in a home, even though it's not my favorite thing to follow a schedule. Kids seem to do better with them, and especially Kolton. Man, that kid needs a schedule! The second we go off of one he starts doing all kinds of crazy things, one of which is stuttering. I can always tell when I need to work on the schedule more because he only stutters when we're off-schedule, or if he's under stress. Stress-induced stuttering.....who would have thought?
I have sprouted my peas and am going to plant spring crops in my garden this week.
It's so nice to be outside digging in the dirt and soaking up the sunshine that's starting to come more often. This year we are planting loads of lettuce, as it was one of our favorite crops this year, peas, spinach, chard, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, carrots, various squashes and gourds, berries, beans, peppers, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, tons of herbs, and anything else I feel like trying. Nothing beats home-grown. Hands down it's the best.
My mom and I have been taking about traditions a lot lately. We are reading this book by the Eyres called "Three Steps to a Strong Family" and it has a whole section about traditions. It talks about their importance, and also gives ideas about things they have done with their kids, and there are some really touching and memorable stories that really inspired us both to start thinking about it. One of the things they do is pick a tradition to carry out on each person's birthday. One flies kites, one rakes leaves, one floats their birthday cake in water every year, one picnics, etc. There are many simple, meaningful things they do together. I love this idea and want to do it with our family. I'm trying to think of a tradition for Kolton's birthday on the 23rd of this month.....any ideas? I am thinking kite flying would be great, but I thought I'd see what creative ideas everyone else had. I am so excited about this, it's going to be so fun!
We also have begun instigating chores into our family routine. I colored and cut out some pictures of simple things like make the bed, brush your teeth, pick up toys, etc. and hung them on two hooks on the wall. Kolton wakes up every morning and begins his chores. (He thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.) He gets dressed and makes his bed before breakfast. He loves it and wants to move things back and forth on the hooks all day. We will see as time passes how it pans out. But, so far so good.
Wes left town Friday morning for a volleyball tournament in Moab. There weren't any other wives there, so I decided to stay home and give him a guys' weekend. Boy howdy did I miss him! This was the very first tournament ever that I've missed and it drove me absolutely CRAZY not being able to be there to watch and cheer him on! But, it was the right choice. He came home exhausted, but he has a ton of fun and it was sooo nice to have him home. One thing we learned is that we can't sleep without each other. The first night I didn't even try to sleep until I was so tired I thought I'd just pass out on my pillow. I just worked on all our little projects. But when I crawled into bed I still couldn't sleep. I missed Wes and I am just used to having him next to me. The next morning, he called so tired because he hadn't slept well either. One of the things I am most grateful for about his job is that he doesn't have to travel at all. That would be so hard! My sweetie did me proud and his team took third in the tourney. He came home and we just snuggled for awhile, we needed to catch up a bit I guess. I am so glad I married a man who loves to snuggle! We missed each other, but I really think it was a fun thing for him and I'm glad he got out and got some sports and guy time. But I'm more glad he's back home....we missed him.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...