Friday, September 18, 2009

What Do You Think?

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/catano.htm

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on this link. Our family started a tradition of a yearly "major" - a topic we really want to focus on and learn a lot about for the upcoming year. It's been so fun and informative, and truly a blessing as well. Although studying it more in depth than normal (which is a lot, because this has always been an area of interest for me), particularly nutrition and natural healing, has made me realize how little I know, and how much more I want to learn.

This focus for the year has truly been at a time of utmost need. Many of you know, and many of you don't know, that I have struggled with my health for about 5 years now, the most being probably over the past year, starting right before I had emergency surgery to remove a benign tumor off my ovary (along with part of that ovary), and continuing through very recently. I will not say that I am "cured" yet, but I will say that I feel better now than I have felt in a long time, and I have gained the blessing and gift of so much knowledge that I may not have otherwise pursued.

Nutrition has become such an important part of our lives. I'm not going to say we eat perfectly every day, but we are eating much healthier overall. The hardest part is finding FRESH foods, which is still a struggle, and has made our garden that much more important of an asset. I have always wanted my own backyard hobby farm, and now more than ever that is a goal and dream of mine for so many reasons.

The other blessing that has recently come into our lives because of our study and also because of my best friend who cares about me and has hated seeing me so sick, has been a wellness drink called "Mona Vie." Celest and Todd (our friends) stayed up late talking to me about it and some of the miracles they have seen happen when people take this juice. (I'm not calling this "miracle juice" like some people will, but I am more of the opinion that or bodies are nutritionally deficient to some degree or another no matter what we do, and the closer we can get our bodies to the optimum level of nutrition, the better our bodies will be able to heal, and the healthier we will be.) I can tell you a plethora of stories I have heard firsthand from people, but I won't. At this point, since we are still learning so much about this amazing product, I've decided to share with you what it's done for me so far (coupled with cutting back on meat and dairy considerably, but not completely).

In three weeks, my asthma has improved dramatically. (I was told this was probably the first thing that would improve because the body will heal itself from the most recent ailment first, and then move on to the next thing, and so on and so forth.) I have reduced the amount of steroid in my inhaler to half my normal amount. I haven't had to use my rescue inhaler to sleep. I haven't had to use it to groom or play with my dogs, or be outside. I have been able to be active and move more than I've been able to in a year! I'm almost to the point where I can do just about any exercise I want again, which is huge for me because that part's been the biggest struggle for me throughout this whole ordeal. I have started to be able to smell things a little better (my nose was so swollen inside from allergies at my last two doctor appointments) and I haven't had to take my allergy meds in a couple weeks. I'm sleeping better because I'm breathing better, thus I have more energy the next day, and need less sleep than before because I'm not constantly waking up gasping for air. My menstrual cycle came on the "regular" day for the first time since taking birth control pills when we first were married five years ago. I have so much more energy it's not even funny! I rarely get that afternoon "drag" like I did before. I used to fall asleep when I was putting the boys down for a nap, and then be too tired to get anything done while they were sleeping. But now I feel fresh all day long. It's so nice!

Anyway, I won't keep rambling on, but I will continue to share changes in my health as we continue to learn more about nutrition, drink our Mona Vie, and continue to make healthier choices. One of the next things on my list is taking whole food supplements instead of vitamins. Bedtime being at the optimal healing time (10pm-2am aka 10-6) is number one for me right now. Unfortunately it also seems to be the most challenging.

I feel so blessed we are learning so much about our health this year. It has truly changed my life so far in too many ways to count. I have really struggled going through this trial of a lack of health but truly have been given so many precious gifts because of it. Knowledge, passion, empathy for others, gratitude, faith, among others. I feel so very blessed that we have the Word of Wisdom as our guide and the promises and blessing that come with it. Our bodies are so connected spiritually, mentally, and physically. So many spiritual blessings have come from improving our health in addition to the knowledge and physical blessings we have experienced so far.

But that's anther post for another day. I've rambled on enough for now.

But please do me a favor. Read the article, share your opinion, share your knowledge. I want to learn more! Let the debate begin......

3 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Hey! Great post!!!

BTW: can we do a Lia Sophia part on the 26th or is that too close?

Gracias!

Megan said...

The 26th is great! Get me your guest list by tomorrow and I'll get your invites out?

What did you think of the article? I know you guys ahve thought abot going meatless too....

I'll call you today...lova ya!

Jenny and Tyler said...

After all my physiology classes and nutrition classes I am convinced that eating meat SPARINGLY is the way to go. I'm definitely not a huge meat eater, but I think it's a good idea to not cut it completely out of your diet. Maybe follow the advice the websites give on how to eat other things healthy in addition to a little bit of meat-- especially since you have growing boys that need meat to grow up healthy and strong and a baby in the tummy. ;) I think looking at the word of wisdom is a great thing as well, it's amazing what Heavenly Father knows about foods! I always like to look at smoking/tobacco for an example- he told us not to, and MANY years later they find out it causes cancer and is now the leading cause of preventable death in the US. Anyway, that's my opinion, but good luck with whatever you do! ;) -Jenny

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...