Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Harmony" Update

I took a little hiatus from blogging - again - to really horn in and focus on goals and routines and upcoming changes. It has been truly unforgettable. One of the greatest things that happened is that Wes caught the vision of goals/vision boards, etc. and really jumped in with both feet. Man oh man when that guy sets his mind to something he gets it done!


Does that mean things have gone perfectly since we sat down and set our family and individual goals? No. Does that mean we have followed through on every single thing we are wanting to do? No. Does it mean we have faced every challenge with a big ol' grin and laughed in the face of adversity? Definitely not!


But.....


We've taken things a day at a time, a week at a time, held true to our decisions (even the hard ones), and grown so close as a couple, as a family, and as individuals. We have managed to find quite a bit of time each week for important things and for fun things. We have lifted and encouraged ourselves and one another. We have grown so much and have felt so much joy and spirit in our home! It's been incredible and also really exciting to see what some vision and elbow grease can do.


After I picked my word this year, I got the direction and vision I was searching for in my goals. I set them pretty quickly and shared them with Wes. Shortly after that, as I pulled it together enough to begin attending the monthly lia sophia team meetings, I was challenged at one meeting to create a vision board. Making a vision board is one of those things that I had been putting off for years. Part of that for me was because I couldn't decide or really see where I wanted things to go. There are so many unknowns in our lives, so many things changing constantly all the time, that I thought I would wait until things felt just a little more predictable. But at that meeting I realized how very wrong that was. I am not supposed to just sit and wait and survive until my life feels more in control. I'm supposed to find a vision, a purpose, and a kind of "loose" control per say. Find the joy in the journey on a whole new level. I have always been one of those people, thanks to my parents, that really does make lemonade out of lemons most of the time, and adapts pretty darn well to whatever challenges life may throw me. I really do enjoy and love life and all the experiences that go with it. Life is full of hard things, but life is so good!


I realized as I sat down to make my vision board that the area of my life that I neglect the most are the parts that are meaningful to me and me alone. Music, art, time with friends, rock climbing, dogs, knitting....the list goes on. Nobody prevented me from adding or even occasionally giving myself a little "me" time except for me. I hear all the time how important it is to take care of you first, and how it can bless your family, but I guess I just didn't fully understand that before. I have been generally very happy and content with life and didn't really realize what I was missing I guess. But the end of January, I felt inspired to start something called a "Learning Circle" (more on that later), and when we had our first get together there was much discussion about taking care of you first and what that really meant. I was amazing to me that we were all feeling the same thing on different levels, and how lost you can feel as a mom and not even realize it! Anyway, we all challenged ourselves to make and keep some kind of commitment to ourselves - something that either helped create some time by eliminating a time-waster, or by following through on a few things each week that are important to us as individuals. This doesn't mean neglecting responsibilities and family and having "me" time as the world says to have it. It is doing something that brings you joy and strengthens you in your ability to do those things that are so important. For some reason, I have a thick skull on this one and can't seem to get it through my head that "me" time benefits everyone. But boy oh boy have I seen it at work in my own life since we learned this valuable lesson! Not only do I feel more refreshed and ready to take on life's daily and sometimes mundane tasks, but I have felt many, many little "nudges" in my life leading me where to go next. I have been able to grow as a person and as a mom. I have learned much about myself....gotten to know myself a little better. I have found my "cause" for the time being (more on that later) and have filled my life with much joy and adventure! It feels like part of me came back alive that I had lost, and it's spilled out into all the areas of my life.

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, take a little "me time" today. Give yourself a little afternoon nap, take up a new hobby you can do while the kids are outside playing or napping. Take care of your needs....let yourself get a shower every day, go to bed on time and know the cleaning that feels so important right now will be there in the morning and go to bed. Whatever it is for you. Try taking care of you and see how it helps everyone around you - it's amazing!

1 comment:

Mackenzie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!

So...when are we going climbing?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...