Tuesday, March 8, 2011

aunt velma's sheet cake

In light of a certain "special day" today for me, I am going to share one of my favorite and easiest recipes.  Since Wes is at work tonight, I think I will be making a little of this myself with the boys and throw myself a little party.  ;) 

My Granny's sister, Velma, is the creator of this recipe.  My Granny and her sisters were all excellent cooks....I'm lucky to have been handed so many delicious, simple recipes.  And of course, I am always happy to share them with you!  Yum!

Aunt Velma's Sheet Cake

Boil on the stove:
1 stick of butter (1/4 C)
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 cup water

Mix separately:
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp. vinegar (trust me, you won't taste it, but you will miss it if it's not there)
1 tsp. vanilla

Add these to the second mix:
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour
dash salt

Next, add the wet ingredients.  Mix well and pour in a greased(with cooking spray) 11x16 pan.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Once it's cooled, you can frost it.  We use Velma's chocolate frosting.  It makes a TON, so we usually just save the rest for graham crackers or something.  Here's that recipe:

Frosting:
1 stick butter (1/4 cup)
5 tbsp. milk
4 tbsp. cocoa

Boil the first three ingredients and let them cook for a bit.  Then add 1 pkg. powdered sugar (the regular size, not the Costco size)

Happy cake eating!

PS - Wes doesn't like cake, but he LOVES this recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...