Tuesday, November 1, 2011

caramel corn

Nothing says "the holidays" to me quite like the food.  For some reason, caramel has been very "tummy friendly" to me lately.  So on Halloween, when I got the itch to cook, some caramel corn seemed quick, not to smelly, and a great treat to share while trick-or-treating.  We all enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd share my fast, simple recipe with you.  Yum!

Easy Caramel Corn
1/2 C unpopped popcorn
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Pop the popcorn and set aside, making sure to weed out any unpopped kernels.  Next,  combine ingredients and bring to a boil for a couple minutes.  Pour over the corn and stir.  Spread over a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper to set.  Enjoy!

*I did try a couple new things yesterday and I liked them, although the texture of the caramel didn't hold up on the second day, so it's a toss up which I like better.  I may keep fiddling with it a little and see if I can get the best of both worlds.  What I did like about it better is that it was SO much easier to spread evenly on all the popcorn.  (I might have liked the flavor better too...it's been a year since I last made it.  I will let you know next time I make it.)  I added 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. salt to the mixture I brought to a boil.  After I removed the boiling caramel, I added 1 tsp. baking soda (this foams up the caramel, so don't be alarmed...that's totally normal). 

Happy Halloween (a day late)!

More posts to come soon!  Let "The Great Catchup" begin (as long as I am well long enough to read of course!).  Hugs to all!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...