Friday, March 18, 2011

happenings lately

Man alive, we have been busy lately!  Here are some of the tings we've been up to:

We had dinner at our good friends' house.  Todd and Celest.  Celest is my best friend from high school, and we've stayed pretty close ever since.  She's just discovered a God-given talent she has for art!  Boy has it been fun to see this project come alive!  (Shh, don't tell her, she doesn't read blogs or get on the computer  I'm going to get her art classes for her birthday in June...I'm so excited!)

Here is a sampling of what she's cooking up:
 This is the ceiling, with glow-in-the-dark paint!
 I love the shading on and around the sun, and the glitter.  So fun!
This room is going to be Peter Pan.  She's painting characters, making an ocean and island out of chalkboard and magnetic paint, and hubby Todd is building a bunk bed!  The kids are going to LOVE it!  I am so proud of my best friend and her amazing talent! (No wonder she is the BEST hairdresser on the plant!)


Jonah is having some cradle cap issues, and I am starting to wonder if he is allergic to milk.  Anyone have any non-soy formula suggestions?  I know my dad was allergic to milk when he was a baby, and I think he grew out of it.  Anyway, for now, we are oiling up and scrubbing that little head like nobody's business.

Speaking of head issues, I have a feeling my thyroid is starting to slow down and become hypo (slow) again because my hair is beginning to fall out.  My doctor confirmed on Monday that I definitely was experiencing thyroid-related hair loss.  (He had me comb my fingers through my hair and see how many came out.  Normal is 0-2, I got 8 or more.)  I am devastated to say the least, but trying not to worry about it too much, since I still have a lot.  Just a few patchy bald spots that I can pretty easily cover with existing hair.  Hopefully it stays that way.  Hair can grow back right?

I hosted an Ireland dinner for our ethnic dinner tradition.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures.  We had a blast!  Wes' uncle, Pieter, and some of his family, and Wes' oma, Anna, all joined us for the festivities.  We had authentic Irish stew, which was DELISH!  We learned all about St. Patrick and Irish history, including leprechauns, Pookas, and other faeries.  I had so much fun with all the details from the food to the music to the take-home gifts (shamrock plants and homemade shamrock pins - thanks Martha Stewart!), and also....

.....learning to make my mom's apple pie.  Apple pie is an authentic Irish dessert.  I have been wanting to learn how to make it for years, so this party was a good excuse.  My mom and I had a ball, and everyone loved the pie of course.  Especially Wes.  My mom's pie is his favorite, and now I can make it for him anytime he wants!  Yum!

I am going to miss apple pie, and any other yummy thing containing gluten.  I have been advised by three doctors now to go off of it for 3-8 weeks to see if it helps me immune system.  Good bye, baked goods, hello potatoes and rice flour.  :(

My mother-in-law, Susan, threw me a Mardi Gras birthday party (family-style of course!).  We had lots of fun!  We had a yummy New Orleans-style spread including friend chicken, jambalaya, King's bread, BBQ crawdads, cornbread, and salad. 
We also made masks and had a parade where I got pushed around on a chair by Wes while everyone followed (I am sure my face was beet red).  The kids sure loved that!  By then, the kids all wanted to play outside and Jonah needed a little break, so I hung out inside with him and played the piano for a bit while everyone else went outside.  When Jonah and I stepped out, this is what I saw:
Uncle Joe's new scooter!  The kids all loved getting rides.

 Then Emilee and Lauren (Wes' little sisters) and the boys enthusiastically posed for an impromptu photo shoot while I fiddled with some camera settings:



Here's something funny.  Micah kept asking everyone for some "poopy surprises" and we couldn't figure out what in the world those were.  Finally we realized it was fruit snacks!  Funny boy!

Gramdma with her newest grandson:


Micah loved on this poor, good-natured dog all night.  He really does need to have a dog someday (when he's bigger and I'm not allergic).

Susan also made these fun cupcakes.  The frosting was made with root beer and they were yummy! 


We made sack puppets at Joyschool:

We've been getting a lot of these on our porch in light of a certain little boy's upcoming birthday.  Every time they come I am told he is angry because he has to wait to see what's in them until his birthday. 

This little sweetie finally figured out crawling forward at Todd and Celest's last weekend.  I am doomed!  He is all over the place! (And he's still after my camera!)

I caught a man in our garage a few days ago.  Luckily it was in the nick of time and nothing valueable was taken.  After taking to several neighbors and the cops coming, it was concluded that the accused is a new neighbor living in a basement apartment down the street!  I guess I have to be extremely diligent about closing the garage and making sure the boys do the same thing!   I had only been inside for five minutes.

We had a fun-filled St. Patty's starting with MOPS in the morning.  My mom and I then watched the kids squeal with delight and run around the house giggling at all the "tricks" the "leprechaun" (aka my dad) had played while we were gone.  Couches, beds, pictures, all kind of things were turned at angles of messed up.  We went to be sneaky "leprechauns" ourselves and drop Melinda a little St. Patty's treat.  The kids also got to go on a gold hunt when we got back and they loved it!  Who knew having Jesse put a pot of gold on the swing set would prove to be such a fabulous hiding place?  After dinner, we frosted some green shamrock cookies.  Yum!

My dad found a darling little house in an area we want to live and I got to walk through yesterday.  Although it's probably way too early to move, I fell in love with this darling old house.  I liked parts of it better than our house.  It was so charming and picturesque inside!  It gave me hope that we will be bale to find a cute little house with a yard in our price range, in the area we want to live, when the time comes to move.  I can't wait to take Wes by today.  I wonder what our next house will look like.....

I came home yesterday and the "laundry fairy" (thanks Wes!) had come and rescued me from the zillion-and-one loads I had piled to the ceiling in the laundry room.  Not only that, but the whole house was spotless.  It was so nice to just be able to get the kids in bed after such a fun-filled, busy holiday.  I was so exhausted and it gave me such a lift to come home to all that love left for me.  I thoroughly enjoyed going to bed early.

I have to smile every time I see this when I go outside:
Spring is definitely "springing" around here!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...